Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Ask Planner... "Ceremony Vows & Order"


Hi Geneve,

We are having an outdoor ceremony at Grouse Mountain this summer.  We have a family friend officiating and a marriage commissioner lined up to witness it to make it legal as I understand that’s what needs to happen in British Columbia. Our question is because we are not following a church’s guidelines, and are recreating our own version of a ceremony, we are a little lost as to the order of the ceremony and what should be said.  Can you share any sample vows and/or an outline of a typical ceremony for us to work off of? 

Many thanks! 

Julie & Martin



Hello J&M!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!  I would love to offer some sight into a typical ceremony outline.  I have also listed some examples of ceremony vows at the bottom. 


Typical Church Ceremony Outline…

PRELUDE – guests arriving…
PROCESSIONAL – that’s when everyone walks down the aisle
GREETING – officiant greets guests and thanks them for their love and support
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE – what are we here for today
PRAYER – if you choose to include this of course
STATEMENT OF INTENT – the legal requirements stating that you “know of no just reason why you cannot be married”
BLESSING BY PARENTS/FAMILY – may be omitted
SCRIPTURE READINGS – not common for a non-church wedding unless you want to authentically recreate a religious ceremony
PRAYER – again may be omitted in a civil ceremony format
SHARING OF VOWS – see below for samples and search online for more!
EXCHANGE OF RINGS – Awwww :O)
DECLARATION OF MARRIAGE – Tada!
BLESSING – may be omitted
UNITY CANDLE/SAND  CEREMONY
SIGNING OF DOCUMENTS – aka Registry signing
INTRODUCTION OF COUPLE – Presenting Mr. & Mrs. Julie & Martin…
RECESSIONAL – wedding party and parents walking out
POSTLUDE – guests leaving…


Ceremony Vows:

#1
From this day on I choose you.
I promise to love and respect you.
To be joy to your heart.
To struggle with you in the bad.
To share with you all my riches.
To be your constant friend
And faithful partner
I love you with all my heart
And will love you for the rest of my life.

#2
I promise to be true to you In good times and in bad.
In sickness and in health for richer and for poorer.
To speak and to listen.
To be honest with you.
To respect, trust, and care for you.
 I will love you and honor you All the days of my life.

#3
I give you my heart as I have no greater gift to give.  I promise that from this day forward You shall not walk alone.  May my heart be your shelter And my arms be your home.  I feel so blessed to call you mine May we feel this joy forever.


Or for something a little cheeky and modern…

This day is all about your love and your commitment to one another. Yet the commitment you are making here today is not actually a new one, because the promises you will make here before all of us have already been made in your hearts.

Officiant:
You have already shared so much in the ____ years you’ve known each other. You’ve laughed together in moments of joy, and comforted and supported each other through times of struggle and sorrow. In a very real way, you’ve grown up together. In fact, you have already been to one another everything you are committing to be here today: a friend and beloved consoler and confidant, partner and co-conspirator.

Bride:
I promise to send you meeting invites for all of our important commitments.
I promise to never check the mail.
I promise to fall asleep as soon as you start driving.
I vow to provide kisses on demand.
I vow  to plan trips to interesting places.
I vow to make you laugh out loud.
I vow to be the best parts of me that fit perfectly with the best parts of you.
Although I will be imperfect, I pledge to be sensitive and respectful of your unique talents, abilities and quirks.
I pledge to lend you strength for all of your dreams.
Through our union we can accomplish more than I could alone.
I believe in you.

Groom:
I promise to never update my Google calendar.
I promise to go to bed at 9:00 every night.
I promise to occasionally trick you into skiing double blacks.
I vow to snuggle you as often as possible.
I vow to laugh at your jokes.
I vow to catch spiders and put them outside without hurting them.
I vow to be the best parts of me that fit perfectly with the best parts of you.
Although I will be imperfect, I pledge to be sensitive and respectful of your unique talents, abilities and quirks.
I pledge to lend you strength for all of your dreams.
Through our union we can accomplish more than I could alone.
I believe in you.


Have some fun with these and take parts of each to really personalize vows that really speak from your heart.  


Wedding Planner signing off!  Until next week… keep those questions coming in!  Submit your questions by emailing us at askaplanner@dreamgroup.ca

Cheerio,
Genève 



Click here to See Inside the Book


Genève McNally, Principal Planner, DreamGroup Productions

Genève first began her wedding career in 1999 as the Catering Manager for one of Vancouver’s most sought after wedding venues, Brock House Restaurant.  In 2004 Genève and college friend Sarah Shore ambitiously started up what is now one of Vancouver's longest running and most trusted wedding planning companies, DreamGroup Productions Inc.

These days, in addition to working with her clients in a full planning capacity, Genève focuses her attention on the sales and marketing aspects of the company and is most often the friendly voice you will chat with when first inquiring with DreamGroup.  Genève is known to inspire and excite both clients and industry associates alike with her exuberant personality and joie de vivre!  Her ability to be refreshingly candid and her in depth knowledge of the wedding industry have earned her the friendly moniker “Two-Cents McNally”.  Genève also teaches the Wedding Planning classes offered through the dg Academy and is the chief correspondent behind DreamGroup's weekly Blog feature Ask a Planner.


Click here to sign up for DreamGroup's Mailing list! 
We promise to inspire, inform and indulge!




No comments: